Thursday, March 5, 2009

Personal Lerning Networks: A response to Donna's presentation




This is a response to our tekkie meeting and a comment posted by Dean Shareski that I can't find at the moment but it struck a nerve anyway...so I'll write about it.

I don't think personal learning networks are new. They are the way of the world.

I find Shareski's quote so arrogant. While "technology" is useful (don't get me wrong I LOVE it) I have to ask myself, What constitutes technology?" Isn't a note in a bottle a form of technology? A nail dipped in blood can be used to write. What does it mean "to advance"? Does one need a computer to promote learning and wisdom?

If one does not value learning, expanding one's own horizons, and questioning what one holds to be true, it doesn't matter how much technology one has and how many people one can connect with. Learning is a way of being, a lifestyle, a spiritual practice if you will. Technology, whatever it is, is merely a tool.

2 comments:

DRS said...

I would love to respond but I have no idea what you are referring to.

DRS said...

This quote in particular, taking from the Horizon Report, suggests that if our students do not have the power, wherewithal and means to connect in meaningful ways with others, they will be stripped of opportunity. You are correct in that it isn't about numbers but when I listen to people who talk about passion based learning and living, it requires them to find those passions. Many people don't have the support to fulfill passions where they are and settle for much less. What technology can do is provide them a means to connect in meaningful ways to people who share similar interests and can teach them. When we refuse to allow our students to understand these connections, we rob them of opportunity.

I think we may have a few more years where we can avoid this issue somewhat, but time is running out. Those students with the capacity and understanding of how to build learning networks will be way ahead of those who don't. By "ahead" I mean opportunity to learn.