Thursday, May 8, 2008

Google Docs Presentation, Create a Graph and Social Studies

Google Docs adventure continued....

I've assigned my Grade 5 and 6 (Grade Six content) a "mini" research project. Using (mostly) the CIA Factbook (I know, I know, but it works well for this assignment) students collect data on an assigned country in the Atlantic Region. I've given them an identical data sheet for Canada. They are then to create a Google Docs presentation comparing the data from their country and Canada. We've looked at GNP per capita, population, birth rate, poverty rate etc. etc. Basically, I want them to compare statistics to know whether their country is richer or poorer than Canada.

Next, we are graphing some of the data: Using Create a Graph.

This is an online program that creates graphs and charts from which the students can download the images in .jpg form (and others) and/or print the data. My students are inserting their .jpg graphs into the appropriate pages of their presentations.

The adventure continues.

No comments: