Saturday, October 13, 2007

My attempts at Web 2.0 in my classes....

I've been using Epals.com as part of Social Studies. If we are lucky, we get a class who answers us with regularity. This is the year we study the Grade 6 Social Studies, "Canada's Atlantic Neighbours" and I've attempted to establish contacts with several "Atlantic Country" classrooms. Some of my students get next to no replies no matter how many classes we contact, while some get gobs of emails. Go figure!

FlauntR.com is an online photo editor. I've allowed my Grade 7/8 technology class to experiment with it....with the proviso each one who uses it can teach me one thing about it. (I've put student photos in the public directory so they can play with their mugshots.) I myself haven't used it yet, but the kids seem to be having a blast.

I learned about FlauntR through Kathy Shrock's "Sites of the School Days" email that I subscribe to. She sends out an email weekly during the school year. It is worth subscribing.

2 comments:

cey something said...

The FlauntR site is a lot of fun. The students could use this for some bulletin boards we now make for PBIS. However, we can't upload pics from our files - just use the ones there. Did you have that problem. Also just browsing to find their files means they can access all C drive files - even the program files. Did you find this?

Thelma Cey

pcone said...

I have put all the pix in a file on the public directory. Students seem to be able to upload what they want. I assume they can also upload from their own "My documents" too (gosh I hope so!) I'd contact the tekkies and ask them if there is a problem not yet solved.