Thursday, January 24, 2008

The RED PANDA! (Or how Canada's greatest superhero taught my class how to make podcasts!)

I've always wanted to get my students to make enteratining podcasts, but I didn't know where to get inspiration and modeling for them. Recently, on iTunes, I've listened to "Old Tyme Radio Network" podcasts, and by chance I stumbled onto Podiobooks.com . The Red Panda season one is Decoder Ring Theatre (from Canada)'s tribute to old radio programs. I've played both the old radio and Red Panda for my class. They definately prefer the Red Panda because it has better sound quality, and moves at a quicker, more modern pace. (As well, can you imagine the Red Panda's sidekick, his driver, Kit Baxter, as the Flying Squirrel?)

Today, some students started experimenting with recording podcasts. One group used my laptop MacBook, and the other group and I experimented with Audacity. GarageBand is AWESOME as we all know, but we were all surprised at how well Audacity worked. We still need to do a lot more work, but today was one of those great days in education.

PS....any tips on using Audacity and/or GarageBand gratefully received!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just took a look at podiobooks.com - awesome! I'm going to take a closer look at the Red Panda Adventures later today. I think that it will work wonderfully in the drama 9 unit I'm teaching this semester! Thanks for the tip, and if you ever have any questions about GarageBand, let me know. We're not experts at the Comp, but with quite a few projects under our belt, we might be able to help with some of the glitches.

pcone said...

Actually, Faye helped me MUCHO MUCHO much already. She is a treasure who should be paid 6x her present salary.

Thanks for the offer!

DecoderRing said...

Well... it's been almost a year since this post was made, but for the record we record our shows with Audacity.

I'm horribly behind with our Podiobooks re-releases, but we're up to episode 42 on our home page at http://www.decoderringtheatre.com

cheers,
Gregg